Monday, August 15, 2011

Jesus we're on our way! Day Uno

After many months of planning our team is off to a perfect start! Well, aside from the leader (AKA me) arriving at the airport 8 1/2 minutes late!  Smooth sailing through checking 32 maxed out bags donation bags, everyone made it through security without a problem and the flight take off was good. 

As I sit on the plane, I realize I am the meat to a Cambridgian sandwich on the plane. Aisle row (my slice of bread) is Sue my bestie and Guatemala roomie and in the window seat is ironically a man that was Sue's neighbor, old friend of Zach's and did the cabinets in her lake home recently! Just a few weird strange face I thought important to share.

The team looks great, bubbling with excitement. Few have slept in the past 24 hours.... a food thing, it helps the first night in unfamiliar & uncomfortable surroundings easier to pass out from the exhaustion.  We will land in Atlanta in an hour then off to Guatemala City after a short layover.  Our first stop is the "For the Love of Patricia" orphanage outside of Guatemala City where we will drop off 4 bags of soccer uniforms & equipment where they will deliver them to a local school.  Tonight we will have orientation to the Dreamer Center & take in the environment at our new homes for the next 12 days. 

Edilser will meet us at the airport and accompany us throughout the trip.  He is one of the most sweetest and gentlest souls.  He is also a hard working loving husband to a very beautiful and kind wife and a father of 2 adorable children.  He works many long hours to aid volunteers in having amazing experiences and to keep everyone safe.  When there are no teams he builds homes for the project by himself! He is my Guatemalan brother that I have come to know and love for the past 4 years.  I so look forward to seeing him and hopefully meeting his family this year through attending his church.  God has so much in store for our team I can hardly believe all we will do in 12 short days!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment