Thursday, June 16, 2011

The Sweet 16 Team!

In 41 days my team will be departing for a life changing experience. I pray that you will follow this blog to also participate in the experience. Each team member is participating in devotional & worship activities throughout the preparation, interum and post trip experience. God put together this amazing team of varied personalities, talents, skills and interests to best serve Him! Our God is an AMAZING GOD... ALL THE TIME!  I would like to share with you my Sweet 16 Team:

Shawn (aka "me"): I am the semi~fearless leader of the pack. This will be my 4th Guatemala team that I will organize and lead. I am very proud to be leading a team of Christians that are excited to not only serve those in need but embark upon a spiritual journey that will strengthen our personal relationships with our Lord and Savior.  Please pray for my family while I am away & the decisions I make for our team as the leader.

Michelle: We are so blessed to have Michelle joining the team for her 3rd year! Michelle is one of the most flexible, easy going & compassionate woman I know. Her love for children & God are obvious in the way she lives her life. Michelle will assist in our VBS activities in Guatemala. Michelle is a nanny and came to my team through being friends of a PTA student of mine 3 years ago.

Amanda: This will be Amanda's 2nd year joining me. Last year I had the pleasure of praying over Amanda one evening in her hotel room while on an excursion to Panachel at Lake Atitlan in Guatemala. I did not know Amanda very well at the time but I felt led to pray over her when she shared with me that while she had been journaling and having some reflection time in her hotel room she sensed she was being called to return to do volunteer work in Guatemala.  That prayer that was honored by God. Not only is Amanda joining my team again this year but she is staying for 3 months to serve in Guatemala! Can I hear an AMEN!!!!!!!

Brenda: A PTA graduate and repeat traveler with my team for a 2nd time. Brenda is strong willed and determined. She is a wife, mother, grandmother, and new PTA graduate as well as a fellow Guatemala addict like me! Brenda has sacrificed much to go these past 2 years and is looking forward to seeing her host momma Lucy and the babes in Casa Jackson Malnutrition Center. Brenda did a rock star job serving at the food distribution & bustin her bootie home building last year as well. Please pray for Brenda's studies for her PTA licensing exam.  She has a very busy and exciting summer ahead of her!

Kelly: One of the sweetest "sistas" I know. This will be her 2nd trip to Guatemala as well. Watching Kelly's sweet quiet way last year in Guatemala while serving the mothers at a food distribution & holding & playing with the infants at Casa Jackson Malnutrition center & Dories Promise orphanage was heart-melting. Last year Kelly & I were "randomly" brought to the very same passages in our bibles on 3 separate evenings!  God was with us every moment and we trust He will be again!  I am so blessed to have her joining me again this year.

Jessica: I am looking forward to the amazing and sure to be powerful prayer & worship times Jessica is organizing for our team this year. Jessica brings a fun element to the team with her desire to serve & worship God in creative ways. She has inspired starting team prayer partners & the idea to pack potty ponchos this year! She is the leader of the pinata event at our June 26th fundraiser in Hudson. This too is Jess' 2nd year serving in Guatemala. Now that's legit! [ inside joke ].

Britta: One of my PTA students. She is a positive role model for her class, loves horses and has a fabulously close family (I adore close families). Britta is always willing to jump in and help which is a great character trait to have in the field of PT and in serving others! I am really looking forward to watching Britta's obvious love for Christ grow deeper through her experience in Guatemala.

Courtney: The youngest in our group but from what I understand more mature than most in her walk with Christ. Courtney is not your typical teenager as she is voluntarily wishing to hang out with a bunch of moms and adults while in Guatemala! She enjoys spending a good chunk of her summer helping at Trout Lake Camp. I am eagerly awaiting to see the long term mission work that Courtney will likely be called to do when "she is grown up" given her interest and desire to be a missionary. I am also excited that her prayer warrior mother, Stephanie, will be (and has been) offering up oodles of prayers for our team and leading others to do the same.

Judy: Will be the leader and organizer for our VBS activities while in Guatemala. Judy teaches at CCS and has a sweet quiet way about her but get her on a topic of interest and you will hear the ideas fly!! I love her enthusiasm for what she enjoys. I am excited that Judy not only will be a leader for the VBS activities but she is stepping into the role of "Big Sister" and guardian for Courtney while we are in Guatemala!

Sue: A true picture of trust, faith and strength.  Sue has been a friend, confidant and spiritual mentor for me for many years.  Since beginning my trips to Guatemala I have been praying every year that God prepare her to go with me.  God decided this year is the year!  It has been awesome witnessing Sue's trust and faith grow even greater in her decision to listen to her calling to go.  We each may doubt the ability of our imperfect selves to teach or demonstrate to others anything of life changing importance.  I am here to say, it is not always a well spoken sermon that draws someone to Christ or strengthens their walk with Him, it is watching real people like Sue live a genuine life that does it.

Kim: A graduate PTA student this spring. Kim is excited to be experiencing a mission trip of her own after helping raise funds several times for her own girls to go on them. I am looking forward to not being the only one crying my eyes out on a daily basis now that Kim is joining us! Don't get me wrong, Kim & I are tough as nails... but we share soft squishy hearts! :) Pray for Kim as she is planning the trip of a lifetime while studying for the PTA exam of her lifetime! Busy summer this woman has ahead of her!

Richard: One of the two awesome artists on my team this year. Richard is witty, caring, compassionate and plans to wear sandals the entire time we serve..... I made him promise he would wear shoes during construction days as my experiences with hospitals in Guatemala are wished to be complete for a lifetime! Richard will work in competition with the other male on our team to see who is the strongest and toughest at mixing concrete and building homes! Seriously though, Richard is a great addition to our team with his childhood experience and desire to serve others!

Hannah: I just now realized how many sweet people I have on my team and just changed the description of our team name to "The Sweet Sixteen"! Hannah puts the faith in faith and sweet in sweet! She is truly a blessing to have on this team. She is prayerful in what she does, she puts Christ first in her decisions and it is clear that the honest and transparent way she lives her life for Christ is genuine.  I love reading Hannah's facebook postings, they provoke and encourage me to stregthen my walk with Christ.

Jonathan:  The "other guy" on our team.  Jonathan comes from a close knit family (remember...I adore close families!).  Jonathan has participated in our church's Nett Lake Mission team and says he is looking forward to serving in another country.  This trip will surely meet that desire.  I look forward to seeing how this trip will help each team member grow in our faith and in our relationships with one another and as a body of Christ.

Beth Anne:  A true sweety.  Beth Anne is one of the most talented and giving sistas I know.  She is an artist (in everything!!!!) I love how she brings her talents and love for art into worship, faith and serving others.  She has donated countless hours and funds to help our team use clay to raise funds. Beth Anne is sure to be a positive influence on our team while in Guatemala in demonstrating her faith & trust in God & her compassion for others.

Breanna:  Last but not least!  Breanna will be sure to bring a smile to others.  I love her willingness to help others and do it with a huge smile on her face.  Breanna will bring fun and enthusiasm to our team just like she does in her PTA classes.  I really am blessed to have so many students in the PTA program that love helping others and that this year there are 5 that are joining me.

No comments:

Post a Comment